Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:21:17 -0500

Earnie Boyd wrote:

This part won't work. It's possible we need a separate case for A:style paths. Because the rest of the patch does:

+           add_dir="-L$inst_prefix_dir$libdir $add_dir"

E.g. prepend the inst_prefix. But A:/inst_prefix/A:/usr/lib is NOT a valid path; for A:style paths you'd need to strip the drive specifier from $libdir before prepending $inst_prefix...

Help solicited...

IMO, it's not worth supporting. A requirement of libtool and other autotools is a POSIX shell, so ...

err, not that I'm complaining, but POSIX shell doesn't really mean that you have single-root filesystems and use '/' as a separator, does it?

I mean, MSYS and cygwin shells both obey that restriction, and I'd be perfectly happy to NOT have to worry about A:this and B:that. But the POSIXness of the shell doesn't really address file system structure.

On balance, however, I agree that (a) given that all current windows-based used of the autotools is done from systems that provide some sort of emulated / root and use '/' as the dirseparator, (b) there's probably a LOT of places already in libtool where we implicitly assume both of those things, that

it is just too much trouble to worry about a:style paths in this location -- that sort of audit, if it is ever done, should be done as a separate patch and change LOTS of places in the libtool code. Right now it's neither advantageous, necessary, or worth the effort.

--Chuck