Re: getting a locally built library

From: David Bacher
Subject: Re: getting a locally built library
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:43:36 -0800

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 11:36 AM, Bruce Korb wrote:

You're specifically adding -L/sw/lib.  Don't.
It will get added by the configure script in the
right place automatically, as long as /sw/bin/guile-config
and xml2-config are properly found with the PATH variable.

Gotcha.
Removing the LDFLAGS setting results in the same link error.

Tracing libtool lets me see the conversion of ../autoopts/libopts.la into -L../autoopts/.libs -lopts in the following code:

Relevant variable settings:
hardcode_action=unsupported
hardcode_direct=yes
hardcode_minus_L=no
hardcode_shlibpath_var=no

libtool code, around line 2100 (I added some tracing/debugging statements, so the exact line numbers will not be the same):
            case $hardcode_action in
            immediate | unsupported)
              if test "$hardcode_direct" = no; then
                add="$dir/$linklib"
              elif test "$hardcode_minus_L" = no; then
                case $host in
                *-*-sunos*) add_shlibpath="$dir" ;;
                esac
                add_dir="-L$dir"
                add="-l$name"
              elif test "$hardcode_shlibpath_var" = no; then
                add_shlibpath="$dir"
                add="-l$name"
              else
                lib_linked=no
              fi
              ;;
            relink)
              if test "$hardcode_direct" = yes; then
                add="$dir/$linklib"
              elif test "$hardcode_minus_L" = yes; then
                add_dir="-L$dir"
                add="-l$name"
              elif test "$hardcode_shlibpath_var" = yes; then
                add_shlibpath="$dir"
                add="-l$name"
              else
                lib_linked=no