Re: no AIX 5 support? I've got some idea what's needed.

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: no AIX 5 support? I've got some idea what's needed.
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:22:02 -0800

Gary Kumfert <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe someone knows a reason why I can't simultaneously have static *.a
> and dynamically loadable *.so on AIX...  just like I do for
> Linux/Solaris?  If so, I'd like to understand why.

AIX traditionally uses a completely different library format than other
systems.  Both the shared and the static objects are supposed to go into
the same .a file, and the linker will chose whichever is appropriate.
This means that .a files on an AIX system may be used at runtime and may
actually be shared libraries.

I don't know how much of that, if any, AIX 5.x changed.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>