re: libtool: -e: command not found

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: re: libtool: -e: command not found
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:56:53 -0800 (PST)

--- Dan Kegel <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just ran into it, too.  It comes from a mismatched
> libtool.m4.

The easiest way to solve it, is to copy the libtool.m4
from libtool CVS into your projects top directory and
rerun acinclude -I . and friends.

> Kaffe, for instance, embeds a copy of libtool.m4 as
> filename acinclude.m4.

I think it's easier to upgrade to another version of
libtool.m4 if you keep it as a separate file.

> FWIW, the procedure for updating kaffe to use CVS
> libtool appears to be
> something like:
>    cd kaffe-1.0.7
>    cp /newlibtool/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
> acinclude.m4
>    /newlibtool/bin/libtoolize -c -f --ltdl
>    patch kaffe/kaffe/Makefile.am to link app with
> @LIBLTDL@ per the libtool docs
>    sh developer/autogen.sh

this is kaffe specific, but nevertheless: the
autogen.sh script is broken for me on Mandrake 9.0
Linux, as it keeps generating superfluous entries in
libraries/javalib/Makefile.am. You could comment the
class-library-auto-updating part out, as I've done it
in kaffe's CVS.

> 'Course, I haven't actually gotten it working with
> the new libtool yet,
> and I'm generally a libtool nincompoop, so take that
> with a grain of salt :-)

It only took me about a week or so, last time I tried
;) I may still have the patch around, and I'll send it
over your way if I can find it.

best regards,

dalibor topic