flat namespaces redux

From: Benjamin Reed
Subject: flat namespaces redux
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:23:16 -0500

So the discussion came up on the fink irc channel again about libtool and namespaces. I recall being rejected in wanting to add support for linker namespaces in libtool in the thread following this post:

...but looking at the archives, I don't see a post following my --namespace= proposal, so I have no idea where we left off. =)

As more stuff gets ported to OSX and they interact with each other, having things build with flat namespaces is becoming more and more of an issue. The problem is not necessarily that libtool needs to natively understand darwin library namespaces, but that it currently *forces* flat, which can cause weird and dangerous bugs in built libraries, and isn't the default linking behavior for the platform.

In F J Franklin's post here:

He suggested changing it to "-multiply_defined suppress prebind", which seems to be the solution, if libtool doesn't want to support specifying the namespace on the libtool command-line.

This would make libtool default to making twolevel libraries (which is darwin's linker default, in fact), but you could still pass "-flat_namespace -undefined suppress" to the command-line if you have a poorly behaving app.

Does that seem like a workable solution?