Re: How to tell libtool to have/work with one of [.lo|.o] file ( if poss

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How to tell libtool to have/work with one of [.lo|.o] file ( if possible )
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:09:14 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Praveen Jain wrote:

> >> The main motivation is to reduce the build time
> >> approximately by a factor of 2 which would be a
> >> tremendous help for us.
> >
> >--disable-shared or --disable-static. If you want static and shared,
> >you don't have a choice.
>
> Where do you pass these options? I tried to pass it to libtool and
> it says unrecognized options?

Unfortunately, there is a design problem with libtool.  There should
be libtool command-line switches to support this, but instead these
options must be set when libtool is configured.  These options are set
via an autoconf configure script.  If you are using an already
installed libtool then you are out of luck.

If you do have a configure script available, then you can add
something like:

AC_DISABLE_SHARED
AC_ENABLE_STATIC

to set the libtool defaults prior to using AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden