Re: Pending release of 1.5

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Pending release of 1.5
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 02:45:38 +0100

>>> "Robert" == Robert Boehne <address@hidden> writes:

 Robert> Alexandre,
 Robert> Snapshots of CVS are made daily and reside at
 Robert> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/cvs/libtool.tgz

CVS snapshots are differents from `make dist' tarballs.  The
former still requires maintainer tools like Autoconf, Automake,
Texinfo...  I don't think they are easier to test than a CVS
checkout.  It is better to test a real candidate of what the
release will be, IMHO.

Besides, since generated files are not under CVS we don't know
what yours will look like.  We should test the files that you
will distribute, not the files that we can build with our own
versions of the autotools.

 Robert> I'm not sure where to announce a pending release other
 Robert> than here, but I had just intended to re-release after
 Robert> bugs were fixed & found in 1.5.  If you have a suggestion
 Robert> on where to announce the pre-release, let us know.

I sent you a private mail entitled `RFC: address@hidden' on
January 15.  (Only Akim, Jim, Pavel, and Paul answered to this; I was
hopping comments from you and Bruno.)  Since then I've asked for
the creation of this list, but haven't heard anything from the GNU
sysadmins yet (the ticket ID is [gnu.org #17673]).

Presently, Autoconf and Automake prereleases are announced to
{autoconf,automake,libtool,address@hidden  Also for
Automake prereleases I have been spamming anybody listed in
ChangeLog entries since the last release (this is mainly to make
sure bug reporters have a chance to check that their bug is
fixed before the real release).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz