Re: flat namespaces redux

From: Benjamin Reed
Subject: Re: flat namespaces redux
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:54:55 -0500

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 09:46 PM, Albert Chin wrote:

I think we should support the two-level namespace, even if it is
OSX-specific. I look at libtool more as a way to easily build shared
libraries across multiple platforms.

Think about AIX. An AIX shared library (non-brtl) can contain *both* a
static and shared member. We don't emulate this across all platforms.

The main issue is that right now, libtool is doing the equivalent of "on darwin, force all libraries to be built statically." There is no way to force a twolevel namespace using libtool without doing a sed on ltmain.sh or the resultant configure and stripping out the -flat_namespace libtool puts on the link line. :P

At least if it gets switched to "-multiply_defined suppress", you still have the option of making the library flat by adding "-undefined supress -flat_namespace" after the fact.

If there was some way to turn it off, it would at least be workable.