quick question

From: Pete Mocat
Subject: quick question
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:09:34 +0000

Hi all,

I have a quick question - I hope it is not out of place but I believe it is a simple question.

Short version:

* installed a binary and got a libtool error
* I did: ln -s /usr/lib/libltdl.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libltdl.so.0
* all seems well
* good idea? or will this cause future problems?

Long version:

I've compiled some software for some older RedHat 6.1 and 6.2 boxes. For various reason I cannot build seperate copies on each box. I need all the boxes to be able to use the same binary. The 6.2 boxes will not run the software built on the 6.1 boxes. The 6.2 boxes return:

Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server: libltdl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However if (on the 6.2 boxes) I link the missing libltdl.so.0 to libltdl.so.3.0.0 the binaries seem to run fine.

Should this be a problem?

If I can cause a problem would it be immediate or would it possible just cause small errors/problems over time?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!