Migrating existing libraries to libtool

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Migrating existing libraries to libtool
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:14:36 -0800

I maintain a few X libraries and would like to see about transitioning
them from imake to automake.  The stumbling block is that I cannot change
the library version numbers across this transition on any operating system.

libtool makes this transition system dependent as I must compute the
correct version-info string for each operating system to have the correct
library versions generated out the other end.  This is contrary to the
desired goals of libtool.

I understand the goals of libtools versioning scheme and how it helps
people resolve library versioning issues on many systems.  In this case,
it's preventing me from using the tool as I have a few existing systems
that I need to remain compatible with.

I propose that libtool take a new command line option '-version-number'
which explicitly sets the major/minor/revision number of the output
library.  This would permit projects to explicitly manage version numbers
to remain compatible with pre-libtool releases.

-keith