Re: Migrating existing libraries to libtool

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: Migrating existing libraries to libtool
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:38:03 +0100

Keith,

> I maintain a few X libraries and would like to see about transitioning
> them from imake to automake.  The stumbling block is that I cannot change
> the library version numbers across this transition on any operating system.

To remain binary compatible, it suffices to have the same major version,
as programs are expected to link against the .so.<major> file. Which
file this actually symlinks to is irrelevant. So in fact you start off
using -version-info <major>:0:0 and then go on as in the libtool
manual.

> libtool makes this transition system dependent as I must compute the
> correct version-info string for each operating system to have the correct
> library versions generated out the other end.  This is contrary to the
> desired goals of libtool.

Hrm, how is that solved currently with imake?

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4