Re: 1,000 year backward compatability of tools

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: 1,000 year backward compatability of tools
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:38:29 -0800

Paul Eggert wrote:

> Alex Hornby <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On a related note, does the restriction of not using shell functions in
> > autoconf macros still remain,
>
> For Autoconf itself, we still avoid shell functions.  But of course
> you can use shell functions in your own macros, if you don't care
> about porting to shells that lack shell functions.
>
> Personally I'm becoming more inclined to start using shell functions.
> Perhaps in Autoconf 3.

If my memory serves, GCC has finally said, "Enough with K&R already!"
but everyone is still saying, "You first."  and  "No, after you."
It's silliness.  The only people squawking are the ones jealously
looking out for someone who maybe might be using the stuff.  Sweating
K&R-isms and copying shell text to avoid functions is a waste of
developer time.  Even if money isn't paid, there's still a big cost.
It's past time.