Re: Convenience Libraries

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Convenience Libraries
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:50:24 +1100

>> In general, Libtool won't prevent you from doing anything
> that the linker can.  This works by passing flags through
> Libtool with these flags:

Not really.  As has been discussed here before it will not let you produce
a dynamic by linking static libraries, although this can be done with
direct invocation of gcc or ld on MacOS X.

> And another spot where convenience libraries are discussed:

Unfortunately that is the one and only spot where they are discussed and
it does not say much.

Perhaps it would help, if I clarify what we are trying to do.

The Swarm project has a hierarchy of three levels of libraries:
Basics like BLT, and libobjc
Swarm modules which are subsets of the API.  These reference symbols in
the basics and also each other.
A swarm library which is the top of the hierarchy and uses symbols from
all of the above.

Libtool appears to restrict options to an either or choice:
Either: Build everything static in which case every symbol will be
incorporated into every executable built against the top level library.
OR: Build everything dynamic in which case everything has to be in the
right place at the right times and a complex DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set up to
get the apps to run.  and you also get plagued with run time warning about
not being able to find the build directories.  Might this last problem go
away with --disable-fast-install?

What we would like to do is to build most of the lower level libraries
static and link them into a single swarm dynamic library against which
executables would be dynamically linked.  Libtool; appears to specifically
rule this out.

Or can you explain how to do it?

Bill Northcott