Moving .la files

From: Sebastian Ley
Subject: Moving .la files
Date: 11 Mar 2003 12:40:08 +0100

Hello,

I have a question:

I have a special situation here that requires me to have two versions
of the same library installed. Their sonames are different, only the
.la file and the .so link are equal for both libraries.

My first approach was to install one of the libraries into a
subdirectory of /usr/lib and call the linker with
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/subdir to search the subdir first for the .so and
the .la files. That works fine.

Now I wonder if I can only move the .so file and the .la file to that
subdirectory and leave the library and the soname link in /usr/lib. If
I just copy the .la file, libtool complains about the library has been
moved. Can I just change the libdir line in the .la file to
libdir='/usr/lib/subdir'?

Pleas CC me in your answers since I am not subscribed.

Thank you in advance,
Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6