Libtool dependency_libs vs. cross-compiling

From: Schleicher Ralph (LLI)
Subject: Libtool dependency_libs vs. cross-compiling
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:18:12 +0100

ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4e (1.1192 2003/02/18 05:15:03)

Hi,

I'm cross-compiling a whole system (MinGW + extensions) on
a HP-UX box.  All packages are configured with --prefix=/sys
and installed via `make prefix=/prefix/sys'.  My intention
is to do a '(cd /prefix/sys && tar cf ../sys.tar .)' to
create a binary package for installation on the host system.

Everything works fine except that Libtool's dependency_libs
variable contains references to /sys/lib/libfoo.la while the
file name at compilation time is /prefix/sys/lib/libfoo.la.
If dependency_libs is empty, Libtool issues warning messages
of the form

libtool: link: warning: `/prefix/sys/lib/libfoo.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: library `/prefix/sys/lib/libbar.la' was moved.

but continues to link programs without an error.

If, on the other hand, a library libbar.la has
dependency_libs=/sys/lib/libfoo.la and a program is linked
with '-L/prefix/sys/lib -lbar -lfoo', Libtool fails because
the file /sys/lib/libfoo.la does not exist at compilation
time.  Well, that's correct but the behaviour is suboptimal.
If I clear the dependency_libs for libbar.la, Libtool links
the program without an error (but a warning, see above).

Any thoughts about how to deal with that?

--
Ralph