libc is somewhere else

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: libc is somewhere else
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:44:47 -0500

On my custom-built GNU/Linux systems, glibc is not installed in the
usual place.  Passing the appropriate -I, -L, and -Wl,-R, flags is
often enough to build most things.  I've found some additional
problems with libtool-based packages, though.
- Some (older?) versions of ltconfig look for /lib/libc*.  I can patch
  ltconfig before building to solve this.
- The *_path_spec variables don't include my glibc directory.  I see
  code in ltconfig that suggests that my -L/-Wl,-R, directories are
  supposed to be noticed and added to those variables, but I'm not
  really sure what the intended behavior is.  Should I patch this too?

Are there any other places where a libtool-based package would expect
libc to be in a certain place?  Must I patch them all, or is there an
environment setting, etc., that I could use to tell libtool where my
libc is?

paul