Re: CygWin woes

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: CygWin woes
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:33:39 -0400

Charles Wilson wrote:
Earnie Boyd wrote:

Magnus Therning wrote:

  int
  foo(int bar)
  {
    return 42 * bar;
  }

FWIW, if you wish to export this function from the dll then you should prototype it as ``__declspec(dllexport) int foo (int);'' so that the linker doesn't have to guess.

Disagree 100%. The whole point of my work and that of others over the last 2.5 years concerning auto-import in gcc, binutils, automake, autoconf, and libtool was precisely so that -- on cygwin at least, if not on mingw -- we can discard those damn declspec() atrocities. PLEASE don't encourage cygwin users to go back to the dark ages...

If you want to be portable between all the different vendors of win32 build tools; then, you will do as I suggest. What I suggest is the MS officially documented method. So, I will suggest it as much as possible although I will now clarify upfront as to why.

Earnie.