RE: libtool on OS/390?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: RE: libtool on OS/390?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:04:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Howard Chu wrote:

> To my mind, C++ support is the nuance. C is the least-common-denominator, not
> C++. If you want to talk about portability and basic functionality, then the
> discussion should be about getting the C compiler to behave and there it
> should end. Configuring anything else should only be done by explicitly
> requested options, and none of those options need to be worried about until
> much further down the road.

Totally agreed.  However, the fact of the matter is that libtool 1.5
will go out and look for a C++ compiler whether the package uses C++
or not.  If it finds a C++ compiler (which it likely will for OS/390),
then it will try using that C++ compiler to configure the C++ tag, and
if the C++ compiler fails basic sanity checks, configure will simply
abort with an error message.  If you can't run configure to completion
and build static libraries, then there is no point in worrying about
building shared libraries yet.

There is currently no mechanism in libtool to tell it to only
configure tags for certain languages, or consider sanity check
failures to be soft failures.  This is the biggest problem I am aware
of with libtool 1.5.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden