Re: LT 1.5: problem with Solaris Forte 64 bit shared C++ libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: LT 1.5: problem with Solaris Forte 64 bit shared C++ libraries
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 10:59:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> > There are ways (-Wc,flag -Wl,flag) to force options to be passed to the
> > compiler or linker, but these are not user friendly, and are highly tool
> > dependent.
>
> True.  But will libtool pass these flags through?  I'm ok telling

The intention is that libtool will pass these flags through.  Alas, I
have noticed that things can get complicated since Autoconf's
configure and libtool may not agree on how the flags are passed and
what works with libtool may fail entirely with configure.

The fundamental problem is that while Autoconf has CXX, CFLAGS,
LDFLAGS, & LIBS nicely seperated into different shell variables so it
knows their intended application, libtool must receive the options on
its command line and correctly inuit their purpose, passing them in
the correct order to the correct tool.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden