Re: libtool running with autoconf

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: Re: libtool running with autoconf
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:08:38 +0100 (BST)

Today, Markus Werle wrote:

>Albert Chin wrote:
>
>> You installed libtool in a "non-standard" location so the above is to
>> be expected.
>
>This I do not believe.
>For a high quality package the above is unexpected.
>If even the authors of the GNU-autotools would fail to use
>it for full configuration relying on user-defined prefix
>then how can one expect others to do so.

I submitted a patch to the automake list about 2 months ago to allow you to
add paths to the aclocal search path using an environment variable.

As a responsible sysadmin I too cannot install the latest versions of
autotools into the "standard" location, so I install them to our
standardised development software tree, under package/version.

It's a shame that my patch can't be accepted without a lot more work - it
needs test cases, documentation, etc etc, and I don't have the time.

Try my patch. If it solves your problem, do the rest of the work needed to
have it integrated, and then everyone can benefit.

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"

Why reinvent the wheel? . . . . . . . . . Because we can make it rounder...