Re: DESTDIR trouble

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: DESTDIR trouble
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:09:40 -0400

Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
I realise this may be an FAQ candidate, but I haven't gotten any joy out
of google or the mail.gnu.org archives.

My problem:

I have, say, guile 1.4 installed, with libguile.so.9 in /usr/lib.  Now
I've tried to build guile 1.6.4 with a DESTDIR=foo install, but then
things get linked with the guile libs *in /usr/lib*!  (I think most of
you should be familiar with the scenario.)  So I have new libraries linked
to the old ones.

I have libtool 1.5 installed, and it *doesn't* work properly with DESTDIR.
I've seen DESTDIR-related messages in the archives, but they always seem
to wind down with "this is fixed in 1.5" or something to that effect.

Did you see this message? It details what IS and is NOT fixed in 1.5. with regards to DESTDIR.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-05/msg00026.html

Other than identifying the problem, I don't really know how to correct the remaining issue. But in this message

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-05/msg00022.html

I posted a test case that demonstrates the issue; if anybody can figure out how to fix libtool, they can test their fix with this small testcase rather than trying to build guile. :-)

--
Chuck