Re: Using libtool together with the ${ORIGIN} soname variable

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: Using libtool together with the ${ORIGIN} soname variable
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:34:12 +0200

Hi,

> However, I need these plugins to be in the same directory as where the main
> executable resides, and I cannot install them into one of the $blah/lib
> paths or add the current path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

This is a bad idea. Most likely, your program will end up in /usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin, and you probably don't want your plugins to be in the
$PATH. You really want .../lib/<package>/plugins, aka
$(pkglibdir)/plugins . Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

> When I try to specify this soname using libtool (adding it to the LDFLAGS
> primary, eg. -Wl,-soname -Wl,{ORIGIN}/mylibname.so) it gets overridden by
> the libtool script, which also uses it to set the so name.

The path should not be part of the soname. Actually, the soname is never
used for plugins (it is taken as the name the executable wants to load
at link time).

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4