Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:12:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Salut Nicholas, hello Bob,
>
> The somewhat bad part is that we have discovered several problems with
> libtool 1.5, ranging from hour-long configure script checks to real bugs
> leading to crashes. We are getting regular bug reports for libtool 1.5,
> and fortunately, they are often accompanied by patches. ;)
>
> My humble attempts at getting the attention of libtool developers to our
> small and simple patches have so far failed to receive *any* response
> from libtool maintainers for more than a month now, despite repeated
> postings to both address@hidden and address@hidden I find
> that situation quite frustrating.

This is not quite true.  I am a libtool maintainer.  I am not as
well-versed as some of the other maintainers so if a more experienced
maintainer is willing to handle an issue, that is fine with me.  What
is true is that there have been no updates to libtool since June 25th.

I will attempt to find time to apply the outstanding libtool patches.
I won't apply a patch if it comes from a non-current libtool, I don't
understand the patch, or it is risky and I am unable to validate it.

> If that's not possible, maybe a 'most general unified' fork of libtool
> under a different umbrella could be a temporary, egcs-like solution to
> what I percieve to be a problem in the making.

A fork is totally unnecessary.  Libtool maintainers seem to ebb and
flow like the tide. Perhaps we are simply in an "ebb" period at the
moment.  If existing maintainers permanently die off, then new
volunteers can become mainainers.  Becoming a maintainer involves
signing a contract with the FSF (takes two or three weeks) and being
set up with CVS commit privileges.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden