Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:50:44 -0400

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

A fork is totally unnecessary.  Libtool maintainers seem to ebb and
flow like the tide. Perhaps we are simply in an "ebb" period at the
moment.

Yes, it appears so. Personally, I was suprised at the relative lack of activity after 1.5.0 was released. (Sure, there were patches -- almost entirely related to the darwin port in my non-scientific survey -- but no new releases).

libtool-1.5.0 came out on 14 Apr 2003 -- that's three months ago. given that it was the culmination of 2.5 years of work, and is a major departure from the 1.4.x codebase, I expected a flurry of bug reports and patches (which we got) followed by a flurry of rolling releases (which we didn't get). 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.5.3, 1.5.4 every two weeks or so, until the bugreports tapered off.

But I guess the maintainers figured "Whew, that's done. Now we can rest for a while." Maintainers, please come back. We like you. :-)

--
Chuck