Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:14:14 +0200

Hi Bob,

thank you very much for your quick reply, and taking my concerns seriously.

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Salut Nicholas, hello Bob,

The somewhat bad part is that we have discovered several problems with
libtool 1.5, ranging from hour-long configure script checks to real bugs
leading to crashes. We are getting regular bug reports for libtool 1.5,
and fortunately, they are often accompanied by patches. ;)

My humble attempts at getting the attention of libtool developers to our
small and simple patches have so far failed to receive *any* response
from libtool maintainers for more than a month now, despite repeated
postings to both address@hidden and address@hidden I find
that situation quite frustrating.

This is not quite true.  I am a libtool maintainer.  I am not as

I'm sorry about my confusing wording. While I have received interesting replys to my critique of the process, I have not received a response on the patch itself, except from an ironical remark about open source developers and vacation. ;)

well-versed as some of the other maintainers so if a more experienced
maintainer is willing to handle an issue, that is fine with me.  What
is true is that there have been no updates to libtool since June 25th.

I will attempt to find time to apply the outstanding libtool patches.

Thank you, that would be great.

I won't apply a patch if it comes from a non-current libtool, I don't
understand the patch, or it is risky and I am unable to validate it.

Our patches are against libtool 1.5, I hope that's current enough. Please don't hesitate to contact me either on the libtool and kaffe mailing lists, or in private, if you have problems understanding our patches. I can connect you with the original authors and reporters.

If that's not possible, maybe a 'most general unified' fork of libtool
under a different umbrella could be a temporary, egcs-like solution to
what I percieve to be a problem in the making.

A fork is totally unnecessary.  Libtool maintainers seem to ebb and
flow like the tide. Perhaps we are simply in an "ebb" period at the
moment.  If existing maintainers permanently die off, then new
volunteers can become mainainers.  Becoming a maintainer involves
signing a contract with the FSF (takes two or three weeks) and being
set up with CVS commit privileges.

I hope that the tide turns, and the current libtool maintainers don't 'die off'. If current libtool maintainers plan to withdraw from libtool, it would be nice if they took some care about 'raising' new maintainers. I have no ambition of becoming a GNU libtool maintainer, I just want to contribute some small patches. That seems to be hard enough, so I can't imagine how hard it is to get larger changes accepted. ;)

You, the libtool maintainers, have done a great job on libtool's code so far. I believe that it's in everyone's best interest if you could continue improving libtool with the support of your users.

On a side note, can I assume that all maintainers are listed in the AUTHORS file?

cheers,
dalibor topic