Re: Fixing Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Fixing Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:36:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Sure. the patch I sent (and two others I have) applies to kaffe's
> /cvs/kaffe/kaffe/libltdl/acinclude.m4 which corresponds to libtool's
> libtool.m4. I can resend the patch against the current libtool CVS if
> you would please take a look at it. It is a trivial 6 line patch that
> just sets lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len to 8K on amigaos. There haven't been any

Your patch looks fine.

> The proper way to fix it could be to do a binary search over multiples
> of 2 instead of the linear search emplyed now. Use a resonable minamal
> value like 2**13, which leaves only a few options between 2**13 and
> 2**17, which is the current upper limit for the test. Starting with
> 2**15, you only need three tests to figure out the maximal command line
> length, instead of 17. How does that sound?

That sounds great.  Please submit a tested patch against the CVS
version.  Then we can (hopefully) avoid adding specific workarounds
for slow machines or broken environments.

> Which leaves you quite alone with libtool, I guess, since the list is
> not that huge. How many active maintainers are left?

That is difficult to say.  After a *long* absence, Gary Vaughan
committed changes in June. Alexandre Oliva committed changes only
fifteen days ago.  Robert Boehne took most of the burden associated
with getting libtool 1.5 ready.  Based on activity, I assume that
there are four active maintainers.  It is quite possible that all of
them are on vacation since it is common to vacation during summer.

> Your last mail didn't sound like you plan to offer new maintainers to
> join. If we could persuade inactive maintainers to step off the plate
> and make room for a new developer generation, would you consider
> recruiting new maintainers?

Once I learn how to add a maintainer, I expect to do so.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden