Re: Choosing the correct version number with libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Choosing the correct version number with libtool
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:31:08 -0500 (CDT)

On 15 Jul 2003, Hal Duston wrote:

> I have a project that I am using libtool to help manage.  In preparing
> for my next release, I have a question regarding setting the correct
> version number for the library.
>
> In the manual, section 6.3 talks about how if any interfaces have been
> added and/or changed and/or removed how to set the version number
> appropriately to reflect this.  My question is what is an "interface"?
> I have changed the environment variables from my last previous release,
> (by consolidating several environment variables into one), which I am
> assuming would count as "removed", but is that considered part of the
> "interface"?  As far as the actual function api of the library is
> concerned, I have neither added, changed nor removed any public
> functions.

An interface is normally between dependent applications and the
library.  It would normally include enumerations, structures, classes,
and functions, or anything else which effects the library ABI.  If you
want to ensure that existing applications continue to execute using
the existing environment variables, you may choose to consider this to
be an interface change even though the ABI hasn't changed.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden