arg list too long error

From: Steve Edwards
Subject: arg list too long error
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:54:32 +0000

I'm trying to port an existing library to use libtool (version 1.4.3)
and have run into a problem with long argument lists on an
rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.2.0 system.

The limiatation is with the AIX linker.

The original method used to build the library, built individual sections
and progressively added the object files to a .a file with

ar -ru libfoobar.a <subdir>/*.o

for all required subdirectories. This was then converted to a shared object
library with:

ld -bE:shrsubs.exp -bI:shrsubs.imp -bM:SRE -bnoentry -o \
  $(LIBRARY).so.$(VERSION) $(LIBRARY)-$(VERSION).a @FLIBS@ -lc

All fine for an rs6000.

The current situation is to build noinst_LTLIBS convenience libraries in
each subdirectory.

Building on an ix86 system, the shared library is created by libtool from the individual .libs/libfoobar1.al in the subdirectories, and the static library is created by unpacking the individual .libs/libfoobar1.al and using ar -cru
on _all_ of the individual object files. This is fine on the ix86.

The rs6000 unpacks the individual library archives for _both_ static and
shared and immediately hits the limit for the argument list for ld.

I suppose my first question is why can I not link all the .libs/libfoobar1.al on the rs6000 _without_ unpacking the library archives, and my second is has
anyone else run across this before and come up with a solution?

Steve