Request for option to disable building of static library

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Request for option to disable building of static library
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:37:59 +0200

Hi,

Currently libtool supports the option to globally enable/disable building of shared and/or static libraries through the --enable-... options for configure or the AC_/AM_DISABLE_... macro's. When creating a library, libtool also has an extra option '-static' that can be passed at link time in order to disable the creation of the shared version. What I am now currently looking for is exactly the opposite; a way to tell libtool to ignore building a static version and only build a shared version.

In our situation it is not possible to just disable building of static libraries on a global level for our package, since our package provides multiple libraries and some of them need to be provided in both static and shared versions. A few other libraries, however, are plug-ins (modules created with the '-module' flag) that only need to be delivered as shared libraries. For these specific libraries I would like to have an option (e.g. -no-static) to tell libtool to omit building the static version.

Currently I have resolved this issue by just building both static and shared versions of our plug-in libraries and deleting the static version with a automake INSTALL_EXEC_HOOK_TARGETS target, but I would prefer it if we could eliminate the building of the static version of our plug-in libraries.

Does anybody know whether such a -no-static option for the libtool link mode is feasable? Can this be implemented by just adding a -no-static option to libtool that sets the internal libtool variable 'build_old_libs' to 'no' or would such a feature require some more effort?

Regards,
Sander Niemeijer