Re: Request for option to disable building of static library

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Request for option to disable building of static library
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:16:07 +0900

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 11:32  PM, Nick Hudson wrote:

OK, a better question is does anyone run an operating system that needs this
feature still?

I don't know the answer to this particular question, so I'll answer a different one :)

This feature, if used more widely, would have been great to getting stuff ported to darwin when it was first released, as there was no dlopen() library, and ltdl did not support darwin. For packages which used -dlopen -dlpreopen, it would have been possible to get them building and running simply by passing --enable-static --disable-shared to configure.

But, I never came across one at the time, and I was quite surprised that someone had an example of a package which used this feature :-)

Peter