Re: Darwin, convenience libraries, and common symbols

From: Tyler Berry
Subject: Re: Darwin, convenience libraries, and common symbols
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:11:50 -0600

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:06:41AM +0900, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

> On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 12:41  AM, Tyler Berry wrote:
> >
> >The problem seems to be with the linking of the convenience library; it
> >compiles each file into .libs/*.o and ./*.o with -fno-common set and unset
> >respectively, but then links only one copy of the convenience library, using
> >the files compiled without -fno-common in ./*.o. When this convenience
> >library tries to link into my later shared library, Apple's ld complains
> >about the common symbols in the convenience library.
> >
> >Any advice?
>
> What is the package? I'd like to try and isolate this bug.

It's a project of mine, actually. (I wouldn't be surprised if there's an
obvious error I've made, although I checked pretty thoroughly.)

You can get a copy at: ftp://arete.no-ip.org/newts/prerelease/

Use the prerelease version; the latest release in /newts/ had a couple of usage
problems with gettext which showed up on Darwin, and you don't need to see
those in order to look at this behavior.

Thanks for your help, Peter.

--
Tyler Berry