libtool 1.5 on hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20

From: Steve Edwards
Subject: libtool 1.5 on hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:18:57 +0000

Just for the information of the libtool maintainers I thought you might be interested in a few 'features' of the hpux system.

I have just been trying libtool 1.5 on this architecture using the native hp tools. I am using the HP ANSI C compiler and HP FORTRAN/9000.

When trying to build shared libraries, libtool checks that the PIC flag (+Z) actually works. The check with the C compiler fails. The comment in the configure script states that:

 # The compiler can only warn and ignore the option if not recognized
 # So say no if there are warnings

Unfortunately, on this platform, there is also a warning message generated by cc saying:

(Warning) At least one PA 2.0 object file (conftest.o) was detected. The linked output may not run on a PA 1.x system.

which is completely unrelated to the +Z but causes libtool to report a failure anyway.

The fortran compiler does not appear to generate this warning but also reports that the PIC flag (+Z) does not work. The fortran compiler sends the following message to stderr when checking +Z

conftest.f:
   t:

and as the conftest.err file is not zero sized, libtool again reports a failure when all the compiler is doing is reporting compilation progress. The same 'feature' of the HP compiler causes libtool to also report that fort77 does not support -c -o file.o which it certainly does.

Everything works fine though if you switch to using gcc...