Re: handling of -framework in .la's?

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: handling of -framework in .la's?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:55:55 +0900

Hi,
The patch I sent Ben for libtool fixes this particular issue with Qt, but I have decided not to sumbit it to libtool-patches, because it is "wrong".

The way "-framework foo" is handled by gnu libtool needs to be rethought. Currently we are treating them as linker flags, as this issue with Qt shows though, that is not correct.

Frameworks are libraries, and need to be treated as such by libtool. They need to go into dependency_libs and when linking against libraries which are linked against frameworks, they need to appear on the link line again (or the build will break).

As more and more projects are being ported to darwin and many of these projects require frameworks to function (e.g. -framework IOKit for anything that deals with hardware, -framework Python for python libraries -framework OpenGL for gl) libtool needs to understand them.

I am willing to do the work here, and do it in a way that won't affect other platforms, but not unless it has some chance of being committed.

Thanks,
Peter