RE: Building JNI libraries on MacOS X and other systems

From: David Thompson
Subject: RE: Building JNI libraries on MacOS X and other systems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:32:02 -0600

Robert, et. al.,

This is great news. I'm now trying to set up an app that builds a jni based shared library and thought you might be able to answer a question.

I have a very large app where we typically set up autoconf/automake/libtool to build only static libraries on most platforms except for the one little issue of our jni based shared lib. I've read through all the libtool manuals and can't seem to find anything specific on forcing automake/libtool to only build shared libraries for a subset of a configured project. For example I have set up

libAnyDX_la_LIBADD = ../dxl/close.lo ../dxl/conn.lo ../dxl/connect.lo
libAnyDX_la_LDFLAGS = -shrext .jnilib -bundle -framework JavaVM
javalib_LTLIBRARIES = libAnyDX.la

But typically we build with AC_DISABLE_SHARED, so it won't get built (correct?). Is there a way to ignore that and still have it built based on some other test within configure? Or based on some rules have just the javalib libraries built as shared?

I'd appreciate any pointers anybody can give for solving this problem.

Bill,

Yes, Libtool 1.5 (and cvs) allows you to specify any extension
for a shared library by passing "-shrext <extension>" on the link line.
To use it for jnilibs, you will have to have some configury
to set the option on MacOS X only.

HTH,

Robert

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:address@hidden    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472