Re: Building .so files only.

From: Stephen Torri
Subject: Re: Building .so files only.
Date: 27 Aug 2003 18:49:41 -0500

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 01:50, Schleicher Ralph (LLI) wrote:
> See <http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-08/msg00002.html>,
> for more details.

So by patching my libtool I should be able to put the -shared flag in my
AM_LDFLAGS for the Makefile.am and only get the shared.so file right? I
see from the patch that it adds the -shared flag but since I have not
looked at libtool's internals I will go with your explanation in the
email listed above.

! If the @samp{-static} option is given, then only a @samp{.o} file is
! built, even if libtool was configured with @samp{--disable-static}.

This sounds logically confusing. What is the point of --disable-static
if -static overrides it?

! If the @samp{-shared} option is given, then no @samp{.o} file is
built,
! even if libtool was configured with @samp{--enable-static}.  Libtool
! will signal an error if it was configured with
@samp{--disable-shared},
! or if the host does not support shared libraries.

See the previous remark. Again it seems counter productive.

Stephen
--
Stephen Torri
GPG Key: http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~storri/storri.asc