IRIX: Expecting n32 objects

From: moseley
Subject: IRIX: Expecting n32 objects
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:49:12 -0700

I'm not sure if this is an autoconf or libtool question.  Sorry for
the dup post to those on both lists.

I've got someone trying to build on IRIX 6.5 and they get:

./configure --with-zlib=$PUBSROOT/tool/sw/zlib/irix \
--prefix=$PUBSROOT/tools/sw/swish-e/2.4/irix/ \
LDFLAGS=-L$PUBSROOT/tool/sw/zlib/irix/lib

[...]

gcc -shared  search.o swish2.o swish_words.o proplimit.o rank.o
db_read.o result_sort.o hash.o compress.o db_native.o ramdisk.o check.o
error.o list.o mem.o swstring.o docprop.o metanames.o headers.o
swish_qsort.o date_time.o double_metaphone.o stemmer.o soundex.o
.libs/libswish-e.lax/libreplace.al/dummy.lo
-L/data/mw/pubs/tool/sw/zlib/irix/lib -lz -lm -lc  -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libswish-e.so.3 `test -n "sgi3.0" && echo -Wl,-set_version
-Wl,sgi3.0` -Wl,-update_registry -Wl,.libs/so_locations -o
.libs/libswish-e.so.3.0
ld32: FATAL 12: Expecting n32 objects:
.libs/libswish-e.lax/libreplace.al/dummy.lo is o32.
collect2: ld returned 4 exit status
make[3]: *** [libswish-e.la] Error 1

I'm not having much luck with google on this.

I'm not clear what o32 and n32 are, but it seems odd that they would not
be matched since both are built by autotools.

"dummy.c" is a dummy C module I always include in my "libreplace".
libreplace is for functions that I include in the package and are added
in if some function is missing on the target platform.  For example
mkstemp() or vsnprintf().

I always include "dummy.c" (which is just an empty function) because
Solaris was exiting with an error if libreplace was empty.

Can anyone explain what the issue is here and what I need to do to solve
the problem?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley