LD_RUN_PATH not adding paths when building with shared libs

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: LD_RUN_PATH not adding paths when building with shared libs
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:36:01 -0700

[please cc, as I don't seem to be getting mail from the lists - and my
subscribe confirm messages are not getting to me]

This is still trying to work out problems on IRIX where a needed library
is not in the default search path (libgcc_s.so.1).

Tried using LD_RUN_PATH to point to libgcc but that wasn't working
without using LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run time.

So, it seems like the LD_RUN_PATH path is not used when building our
project unless we use --disable-shared:

This project uses libtool and automake.  It builds a library that is
installed using libtools and also a binary linked against that library.

I'm not clear if this is expected beharior or not.  I'd think
LD_RUN_PATH should be available regardless if building shared or not:

First, if not using --disable-shared my LD_RUN_PATH is not set in the
binary:

address@hidden:~/swish-e$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/test_again >/dev/null
address@hidden:~/swish-e$ LD_RUN_PATH=/home/moseley/swish-e/filters make
install >/dev/null
address@hidden:~/swish-e$ strings /home/moseley/test_again/bin/swish-e | grep
moseley
/home/moseley/test_again/lib
/home/moseley/test_again/lib/swish-e

(By the way, I'm sure I used to know a better way to show the search
path for a binary than using strings!)

Now try with --disable-shared:

address@hidden:~/swish-e$ ./configure --disable-shared
--prefix=$HOME/test_again >/dev/null
address@hidden:~/swish-e$ LD_RUN_PATH=/home/moseley/swish-e/filters make
install >/dev/null
address@hidden:~/swish-e$ strings /home/moseley/test_again/bin/swish-e | grep
moseley
/home/moseley/swish-e/filters
/home/moseley/test_again/lib/swish-e

Now LD_RUN_PATH is getting in the binary.  Is this expected?

If it is expected how should users that have other library requirements
(like libgcc on IRIX) add in a path at build time?

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden