Detecting availability of a shared libray

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Detecting availability of a shared libray
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:25:57 +0200

Hi all,

I have a package that produces a shared/static library via libtool. However this package needs to make use of some external library for data import/export. Since my library has both a shared and a static version this external library also needs to have at least a shared version available. If this is the case then linking my library with libtool and the appropriate -L and -l flags will work nicely. However, if only a static version of the external library is available then building a shared version of my library will fail (except perhaps on systems that do not need specific PIC flags when creating shared library object files).

My problem is that if I use AC_CHECK_LIB to check for the external library, then the check that is being performed is to see whether the external library can be linked into a program. Now this works of course fine if the external library is only available as a static version. So my question now is, does anybody know whether there is a way to explicitly test for the availability of the shared version of the external library?

Regards,
Sander Niemeijer