What is the status of the official libtool-1.5 tarball?

From: Alan W. Irwin
Subject: What is the status of the official libtool-1.5 tarball?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:53:46 -0700 (PDT)

FSF rightly withdrew many of their tarballs to check for malicious code
because a cracker owned them for many months.  However, it has now been a
month since that withdrawal and there is still no official libtool-1.5
tarball at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/.  This affects many projects
(like the PLplot scientific plotting tool [plplot.org]) where we are anxious
to take advantage of the improved Cygwin and Mac OS X support in
libtool-1.5.  I downloaded libtool-1.5 from the official site in July and
was still experimenting with it when news of the crack became known.  I
stopped all experimenting at that point, and I am now waiting for when the
libtool-1.5 tarball is officially reinstated so I can verify what I
downloaded has no malicious code in it.

Is there still a lot of work to do to verify the official libtool-1.5
tarball or is there just some administrative hurdle (such as propagating a
gpg chain of trust) that is causing the delay?

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin
email: address@hidden
phone: 250-727-2902

Programming affiliations with the PLplot scientific plotting software
package (plplot.org), the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net), the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net), and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).

Linux-powered Science