Re: Link performance: some numbers and a hack

From: Iñaki García Etxebarria
Subject: Re: Link performance: some numbers and a hack
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:24:50 +0200

El vie, 19-09-2003 a las 17:01, Peter O'Gorman escribió:
> dependency_libs will be needed by static archives where, as far as I am
> aware, it is impossible to encode dependency info into the lib on any
> platform. It is, of course, also needed on platforms which do not encode
> this info into shared libraries.
Yep, I already got wrist-slapped by Robert Boehne on that :-)

> Patches which improve speed and cause no harm will be accepted.
I will be glad to write a patch (btw, any place to get libtool-1.5a
tarballs?), but since I know quite little about linking outside the
marvelous world of libtool (spoiled, I know :-)) I imagined I should ask
around here first.

>  Note
> that libtool is called most often in compile mode, improvements there
> will likely have the greater overall effect.
Sure. It's just that waiting 4 minutes for something that can be done in
4 seconds seems... wrong :-) Libtool itself doesn't feel slow when
compiling.

Regards,
Iñaki