Re: only static libraries created

From: Bernhard Rumpler
Subject: Re: only static libraries created
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:09:26 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> The easiest way to deal with MinGW is to use the MSYS shell which
> provides a limited Cygwin-like shell capable of supporting configure,
> make, and libtool, while automatically transforming Unix paths into
> the Windows paths that the tools require.

Yes, but there are no binaries of current versions of various developer
tools available for MSYS, that's one problem.
I have not yet tried to build gtk-related stuff with MSYS, since some
people who do that (including the maintainer of the windows port) use
MinGW and cygwin for that, and recommend this solution. It supposedly
"causes less problems". I don't know details, but I'll have to find out,
if I dont't get dlls built with cygwin bash and cygwin libtool. I still
hope I can do it with cygwin, there can only be a few little things I'm
missing to do...

> While Cygwin does provide a compiler mode in which it may compile
> programs which use the MinGW library, there may be some problems with
> crossing over between the two environments.

yes, but there, too, seem to exist problems with mixing up cygwin and
mingw libraries.

Bernhard