Re: only static libraries created

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: only static libraries created
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:24:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Bernhard Rumpler wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 address@hidden wrote:
> > > I want to compile gtkhtml2 (libgtkhtml) for windows,
> > > I use MinGW (gcc-3.2.3) and cygwin.
> > >
> > > My problem is that only static libraries are created,
> > > no .dlls. What could be the reason for this?
> >
> > Alas, it is necessory for all libraries that your DLL depends on to
> > also be built as DLLs.
>
> This prerequisite is fulfilled for all dependencies. But since no .dlls
> are created in the subdirectories, no .dll is built for the whole library.

Make sure that all of the DLLs are in your executable search path or
may be found in a directory "../bin" offset from where the .a and .la
files are located.  If libtool can't find the actual DLL then it will
assume that the .a library is an implementation library and not an
interface library for a DLL.

> When I try to link static libraries, then a warning "Linking the shared
> library libgtkhtml-2.la against a loadable module - libhtmllayouthtml.a is
> not portable!" is displayed. What does "not portable" mean in this
> context?

I suspect that this complaint is because the library doesn't have
versioning information as part of its name.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden