Re: libtool pre-1.5b tests fail on 9 debian arches

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: libtool pre-1.5b tests fail on 9 debian arches
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:41:49 +0900

Scott James Remnant wrote:

We're all VERY well aware that upstream libtool isn't portable across
all Debian architectures, it doesn't work on arm at all -- and until
recently didn't work on mips, mipsel or m68k either!

This is precisely why Debian's libtool package contains so many
additional patches, so when things do break we can just tell the
maintainers to update the package with the libtool installed on their
system.

Send more patches :)

Please argue your case, convince us that your patch is required, explain the reasons. If you are ignored first time, keep trying. If your patch is dismissed for a reason you disagree with, reply and tell us. In the end, your original patch may not make it in, but we'll probably find some way to get things worked out to your satisfaction.

I know it is a lot of work for you, but it is likely to prove worth it in the end. Your packagers will have less work to do, as will you.

Thanks,
Peter