Re: Version numbering

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Version numbering
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:50:44 +0200

>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Gary> And that's why people find our version scheme confusing.  I'm not sure
 Gary> how we ended up working in this way, I think we copied it from
 Gary> Automake?

Tsk tsk tsk.  Libtool used that scheme first.  Automake copied it
when we started to have branches.

 Gary> Anyhow, I'm fed up of having to explain it, when we could
 Gary> just make it intuitive :-)

I didn't understand your proposal, but I hope you are not
planning to make 2.2 < 2.3a < 2.3.  That would be counter
intuitive.  IMHO any numbering scheme ought to work with `ls -v'.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz