Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:34:37 -0600

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:44:52AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Does this help?
> > AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS([])
>
> That's only in CVS (actually, I checked and it is not in 1.5, so it must be
> in CVS).

I can send you a patch against 1.5 if you want.

> I don't see it that bad that C is not a proper tag, actually.
>
> It would also be good if enable_shared and enable_static became proper tag
> variables instead of globals.  BTW, the October patch for -shared
> and -static handling (which I just noted) is a complete duplicate of the
> special tags disable-shared and disable-static.  It should be reverted IMO,
> it is just featurism.  When *I* proposed such a change (with no attached
> patch, granted :-) I was told to use the multi-language branch instead.

Why make enable_shared and enable_static specific to a tag? Wouldn't
it be odd that you create shared libs for "C" programs and static for
"C++"? And, the --enable-shared and --enable-static options would have
to multiply (--enable-c-shared, --enable-cxx-shared, etc).

--
albert chin (address@hidden)