Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes (static/shared)

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes (static/shared)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:58:00 +0100

Hi Paulo,

It seems this thread starts to go into a direction that might change the recently added functionality of the -static and -shared flags. In a previous posting you opted for reverting the -static/-shared functionality and in the posting quoted below you are opting to make the disable-static/disable-shared tags obsolete.

IMHO I think we should keep both the -static/-shared functionality as well as the disable-static/disable-shared functionality. As I see it both features cater the needs of different types of users. The -static/-shared is more intended for the developer. The developer knows whether a static and/or a shared version of a certain library is at all useful within a package and can use these libtool flags to only create a static or shared version of a library. Mind that these flags are intended to be platform generic. This means that if you provide a -shared argument you are actually saying that creating a static version of the library wouldn't make sense for whichever platform you are building the library (this happens for instance if you are creating a library/module that will be used as plug-in for an already existing application that does not make use of libltdl). The --disable-static/--disable-shared configure options on the other hand are intended to be used by the user who wants to install a package. The user may only be interested in either a static or a shared version of a library (but specifying such an option of course only makes sense for libraries that are build with neither a -static nor a -shared flag) and by providing these configure options the user will be able to specify this.

On Aug 3rd I have also made a posting about the rationale behind Ralph's -static/-shared patch:
<http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-08/msg00008.html>

Just my 2c.

Best regards,
Sander Niemeijer