Re: Adding --tag=CXX

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Adding --tag=CXX
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:52:25 -0600 (CST)

As an addendum to this topic, it used to be easy to override how
Automake uses libtool, but this is no longer the case.  For example, I
could insert this in Makefile.am to override the default:

LTCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile --tag=CC $(CC) $(DEFS) \
        $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) \
        $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)

unfortunately, current Automake inserts oodles of target-specific
rules that hard-code how libtool is executed on a per-target basis so
that its operation can not be overridden in the Makefile.am on a
per-language basis.  Only the simple pattern rules use LTCOMPILE and
friends.

The libtool --tag option must appear before $(CC).

I do not see a trivial way to add the --tag option to Makefile.in.

Bob

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> In a build environment I am creating using Automake 1.7.9 & CVS
> libtool, GCC (gcc & g++) are used as the normal compiler.  However,
> sometimes developers want to substitute 'insure' as the compiler in
> order to do memory leak checking.  My understanding is that 'insure'
> runs the tested gcc or g++ under the covers so from libtool's
> perspective, there should be no change.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not possible to simply substitute one compiler
> name for another since libtool uses the compiler name to determine the
> tag.  It turns out that adding --tag=CC for C, and --tag=CXX for C++,
> is sufficient to cause libtool to accept the new compiler name using
> an existing tagged configuration.
>
> Does anyone have some experience they can share with accomplishing
> this in an Automake-based environment?  It would be useful if Automake
> would detect libtool 1.5 or greater and automatically supply the
> correct --tag option at the correct points.
>
> Bob
> Bob Friesenhahn
> address@hidden
> http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen