broken make dependencies on AIX

From: Eric Haszlakiewicz
Subject: broken make dependencies on AIX
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:35:45 -0600

I'm trying to compile some stuff using libtool on AIX and noticed that
the normal make dependency handling doesn't work when libtool is
involved.  Since static objects aren't created on AIX, all the .o
files
and up in the .libs directory.  This breaks the "foo.o: foo.c"
dependencies
in the makefile and in .depend files.
   What is a good way to fix this?  I could change the makefile to
use the .lo files instead of the .o files, but that's potentially a
whole
lot of changes.  Are the .lo files guaranteed to be created,
regardless
of the OS libtool is running on?  Also that doesn't fix the problem
with
.depend.
  Is is possible to get libtool to just put the .o's in the build
directory,
instead of the .libs sub-dir?

eric