methinks libtool is too smart?

From: Marty Leisner
Subject: methinks libtool is too smart?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:03:54 -0500

I'm working with a tree with libraries with a lot of cross dependencies
(its currently in flux).

It was originally a system with over a hundred objects, we're starting
to use libaries now.

all the libraries are static (I'm on solaris8 now).

I need to link
        g++ -o foo foo.a -lcommon -lhw -lcommon -lhw

So using an autoconf system, I have arule which looks like:

 libtool -n -mode=link g++ -o foo ../common/libCommon.la ../common/libCommon.la
and libtool translates this into:
g++ -o foo  ../common/.libs/libCommon.a

How can I get it to duplicate the libraries? (for now?)

(at a later date changes will be made not to have this problem)

marty           address@hidden
Don't  confuse education with schooling.
        Milton Friedman to Yogi Berra