Terrible problem with latest CVS libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Terrible problem with latest CVS libtool
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:26:19 -0600 (CST)

The generated config.status script includes:

# A sed program that does not truncate output.
SED=$lt_SED

# Sed that helps us avoid accidentally triggering echo(1) options like -n.
Xsed="$SED -e s/^X//"

On at least IRIX and AIX (all I have tested thus far) lt_SED is never
set.  This results in attempts to run the X11 server on both operating
systems.  When libtool is used, there are attempts to execute the sed
expressions.  I expect that this bug appears whenever GNU sed is not
present.  GNU sed should not be required in order to configure and
build a package.

Naturally, GNU libtool developers always have GNU sed handy so this
problem is not noticed.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden